If the term “artificial intelligence” was coined in 1956 during a scientific conference at the University of Dartmouth (United States), its rise is relatively more recent. Having become unavoidable, this new form of technology now offers numerous opportunities to companies wishing to transform their activities and optimize their performance. How can AI applications like Chat GPT help factories in Industry 4.0? The point in this article.
An artificial intelligence application can first analyze data from different systems and equipment used within the company, whether for production, logistics or inventory management. It will then be able to identify delays, problems and other bugs, which constitute bottlenecks and lead to inefficiency in the production processes put in place. Armed with this information, the company can then draw the necessary conclusions and set up an action plan to optimize production and boost quality.
Training and support
A prototype of a conversational and artificial intelligence-based agent can be used to train workers on equipment and production processes, for example through written training programs accessible to any new employee of the company. These can be personalized according to the positions and the level of experience of the person concerned.
An AI application is also able to provide real-time assistance when performing technical and specific tasks, to ensure their successful completion. Employees can further interact with the app for detailed step-by-step instructions, including troubleshooting or maintenance. This last option is also valid for their questions on the production line, the equipment or the safety standards in force within the factory. The information is thus extracted from existing databases or generated by experts in the field.
As part of the implementation of IoT platforms within the company, an artificial intelligence application can be used to monitor production equipment in real time, thanks to the sensors placed on them. The data will thus be sent directly to the AI, which will then proceed to its analysis to detect anomalies or performance problems.Data analysis In the same way, you should know that an artificial intelligence application is still capable of analyzing huge amounts of data, then detecting trends or patterns that would be difficult to identify for a To be human. It is therefore a valuable tool for analyzing and monitoring performance, as well as for decision-making. AI can also provide predictive analytics or simulate what-if scenarios based on different goals and projects.
An AI application can be trained from maintenance data to predict equipment or machine failures before they occur. In practice, this means providing her with the maintenance data, including error logs and inspection reports, to train her, which will then allow her to identify the warning signs of problems. Technicians can then carry out repairs before the breakdown occurs.
You can also employ an artificial intelligence application for the identification of quality defects when it analyzes product images or videos. Computer vision models can thus be trained using existing inspection data to detect anomalies and inform production operators.
Automation of tasks
It is possible to use a natural language application for the automation of certain repetitive and time-consuming tasks, which will allow employees normally responsible for carrying them out to focus on more strategic missions with higher added value. This is particularly the case for the following points:
- Customer service: a well-configured chatbot or virtual assistant responds in writing to common customer questions, while providing information on the company's products and services in record time. These tools can also be configured to route requests to the right people or departments
- Document management: an artificial intelligence application can help sort, organize and classify documents and reports, using natural language processing techniques to extract key information, before organizing them into folders
- Data entry or report writing: after training the model on this point with precise instructions, the latter will be able to perform these repetitive tasks quickly and efficiently
- Recruitment: a program of this type can be used to carry out an initial screening of CVs and cover letters received for a position, always according to the criteria defined by the company. This solution allows the company to minimize the time and costs related to recruitment
- The supply chain: the application can provide precise forecasts of demand or delivery times, from data collected in related management systems and sales history
Artificial intelligence applications therefore embody excellent support for humans within Industry 4.0. By streamlining the flow, they increase the efficiency of operations, reduce training or maintenance costs, while improving the overall productivity of the company. Do not hesitate to contact one of our advisors at Digital Factory if you would like more information on this subject!
Explore the latest AI applications for Industry 4.0 that can transform your production process and make it more efficient.